- Robert Hicks of Hick's Ford on Geni.com
- Geni.com discussion RE: Robert Hicks of Hick's Ford
- Heads of Families at the First Census of the United States Taken in the Year 1790 North Carolina from the Department of Commmerce and Labor, Bureau of the Census, S.N.D. North, Director.
I used to have a whole tree here for the Hicks ancestry, but in February 2018, it was found that 3 Hicks families were erroneously intertwined in genealogical research. Thanks to the work of great curators (seen in the above linked discussions and links thereof), there have been clarifications. The main item is to not confuse Robert Hicks of Hick's Ford with Capt. Robert Hicks, Indian Trader, who married Winifred Evans. Robert Hicks of Hick's Ford was b. ca. 1650 in England and died in Rockybock, Chowan County, North Carolina. Further it appears that my ancestor Sarah "Sallie" Hicks (who married William Nelson Morris) was possibly descended from Robert Hicks of Hick's Ford who married Ester Luten also seen as Lutton, b. ca. 1673 in England). I am unsure of the generations between Robert and Ester (Luten) Hicks and Sarah (Hicks) Morris (or even if there is a connection), but here are reasons for my speculations based on the above links (Source: Robert Hicks of Hick's Ford on Geni.com):
- Robert, Ester and will records in North Carolina: They weren't tied to Virginia as Capt. Robert Hicks was nor were they of the New England Hicks family. Robert married Ester/Esther Luten and they are in the Chowan County, North Carolina, records. In fact, from 1712-1728, Robert was County Clerk of Chowan County, North Carolina, the first deed books being in his handwriting. His wife Ester was daughter of Major Thomas Luten whose will of 16 February 1729 in Chowan Co., NC, mentions his daughter Esther Hicks and his son-in-law Robert Hicks as well as a number of other children. In the will of this Robert Hicks dated 25 November 1733, Chowan Co., NC, Robert Hicks mentions his son Thomas. This information is taken from published will excerpts; if the original wills are still available, the accuracy of the excerpts could be verified (Source: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/HICKS/2002-04/1019866667 and Robert Hicks of Hick's Ford on Geni.com).
- Descendants of Robert's son Thomas in Montgomery Co., NC: This is near Davidson County where my ancestor Sarah "Sallie" (Hicks) Morris was born. Robert Hicks of Hick's Ford was the precinct registrar of Chowan Co., NC and does appear on many deeds. He married Esther Luten and had two children, Thomas (b. ca. 1710, mar. Elizabeth Jordan) and Mary (mar. Daniel Halsey). The marriage of Robert Hicks and Esther Luten was about 1686 in Chowan Co., NC, Esther likely one of the oldest children of Maj. Thomas Luten (and Mary Currier?). Esther Luten was probably b. ca. 1673 and still alive in 1754. Africa McGregory d. 1711 was reportedly the first wife of this Robert Hicks, but there is no information on her or any children she may have had. This Robert Hicks left a will in Chowan Co., NC, dated 25 November 1733, which was probated January 1734, which means he probably didn't die in 1738 or 1739 as stated elsewhere, unless the will and probate dates have been given incorrectly (reference is NC History and General Register, v. I, p. 49; note that an abstract of this will in Boddie's Historical Southern Families v. 5 is partially incorrect). The descendants of this Robert's son Thomas Hicks include the Hicks families of Montgomery Co., NC, and Hickman Co., TN, and most of the Hicks families of Fayette Co., IL, and Carroll Co., TN (18th district, not those in the 8th district). This line is connected to Jordan and Butler families in several different generations (Source: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/HICKS/2005-12/1135081705 and Robert Hicks of Hick's Ford on Geni.com).
Thomas Hicks (b. ca. 1709, Edenton, Chowan County, North Carolina - d. ca. 1775, Wyliesburg, Charlotte County, Virginia) was son of Robert and Ester (Luten) Hicks (Source: Robert Hicks of Hick's Ford on Geni.com). Is he the ancestor of Sarah "Sallie" (Hicks) Morris? Was she descended from the Montgomery County, NC, Hicks family?
|Currently unknown Hicks, theorized to be descended from the above Robert Hicks of Hick's Ford and his wife Ester (Luten) Hicks. Meanwhile, Heads of Families at the First Census of the United States Taken in the Year 1790 North Carolina from the Department of Commmerce and Labor, Bureau of the Census, S.N.D. North, Director, shows a Robert Hicks (p. 98) and Willis Hicks (p. 100) as Heads of Households in Randolph County, North Carolina. It also shows a Thomas Hicks as Head of Household in Rowan County, North Carolina (p. 175). Could one of these men be the father of Sarah "Sallie" (Hicks) Morris?|
descendants through daughter Sarah "Sallie"/"Sally" Hicks/Hix via her marriage to William Nelson Morris